Tuesday, November 7, 2023

The Kindness of Stangers at 5415 metres

People travel for a wide variety of reasons. To visit historic sites, to reunite with family and friends, to view iconic structures, to immerse themselves in history, for a pilgrimage, to check off a bucket list item, to explore new cultures, to snap that Instagram picture etc., etc. For Rob and I, and I suspect Kim agrees, immersing ourselves in nature and meeting people from around the world gives us the “travel high.” 





We have met so many fabulous folk along the trail and in the guest houses, but this is the story of a group of remarkable young people from Thailand who demonstrated empathy, generosity, and most of all kindness. Without a moments hesitation Champ, Preaw, Yok and Deer put their own needs aside and came to my aid.



The story unfolds as we set our sights on the Renjo La Pass, elevation 5415 metres (17,700 feet). Nervous and full of anticipation we left our very humble (freezing cold) accommodations in Gokyo and under the watchful eyes of Everest and Lohtse we began the ascent. Conditions could not have been better.



As we climbed higher and higher I began to feel nauseated and a little dizzy. For the last few days I had been struggling to eat, so unfortunately I was attempting the Pas on half a piece of toast and a cup of black tea. In hindsight, I think I was showing signs of altitude sickness. But as they say hindsight is fifty - fifty. Painstakingly Rob, Kim and I moved slowly with the Dream Team carefully managing our pace and rest stops. It was a tough slog. Climbing at altitude is like walking through a field of molasses. Each step is a test of will power. Finally, after what felt like an eternity we arrived at the top of the Pass. Kim and I gasping for air and Rob admiring the view. I have decided upon arriving home, I will have Rob do a DNA test as I am convinced he is part Sherpa.


With the little energy I had left I managed to perch myself on a rock and promptly experienced a dizzy spell. On this particular day, high in the Himalayas I lost what little dignity I had left. As I urged my brain to focus on the spectacular views of Everest and the Lhotse Face, I became aware of Kim rubbing my back, and Renje massaging my hands with the conviction of an emergency room doctor performing CPR. Rob was kindly and gently wrapping his fleecy around me and someone had stuffed a hot shot down my top. Suddenly I was surrounded by the Thailand “medical team” who popped a sugary piece of dried fruit in my mouth and blasted me with a type of smelling salts. These wonderful strangers took over and stayed with me for a very long time despite the cold and wind on the top of the Pass. They shared medicine and wouldn’t leave until they were confident I was healthy enough to begin the descent Lungden.

Initially, I thought.our trek was a type of quest to view Everest, yet my memory of Everest from one of the best viewpoints in all the land, will be the memory of Rob, Kim, Team 45 and a small band of complete strangers from Thailand. And I wouldn’t change if for all the tea in Nepal!




Giggle of the day

Nanna and Grandma - should you be reading this there is no need to worry. We are now back in Namche and I am craving chocolate, Kim is snuggled up in her blanket and Rob is hungry- all is right with the world again!




5 comments:

  1. Phew! Wonderful world we live in! Lobster must be Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compassion shining at its finest ! Lovely story

    ReplyDelete
  3. someone had stuffed a hot shot down my top = Hand warmer :)
    Sorry for surprising you

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the commentary Boss lady! love to follow in your footprints

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Inspiring and heart warming. Better than all the news stories I have just skimmed/

    ReplyDelete