Friday, October 20, 2023

The Dream Team - October 16

Months ago when we began planning (and by we - I mean Kim) we discussed hiring guides and porters. It is now a law in Nepal, that all trekkers must hire a certified guide. We learned that most reputable guides will also insist on the use of porters. Truthfully, and naively, Rob and I bristled at the thought of having someone else carry our packs. To our western sensibilities it just didn’t seem right. Oh, how our thinking has changed. We would not be sitting in the dining hall of the Apple Garden Guesthouse in Junbesi without them. In fact, we likely would have turned around an hour after leaving Khamding if we had to do it on our own. So without further ado, I would like to introduce you to our guide and porter dream team!


Tendi Sherpa - Guide










Kim first met Tendi in 2011 and since meeting Tendi she has never trekked with anyone else. Patient, kind, knowledgeable and quick to smile Tendi sets the tone for the group. Clearly, he is highly respected by the porters and they are eager to please him. When asked questions about the route or weather conditions he always responds - “not to worry, Tendi has small powers.” I would like to suggest he actually has SUPER powers!


Rinje 

Rinje is Tendi’s son and an absolute delight. In his youth he studied as a monk, and he is happy to share his learnings. Fortunately, his English is much better than our Nepali, so it is easy to chat with him and share the odd joke. This is his first gig as a porter, and it is evident he is working incredibly hard to meet Tendi’s high expectations. Without exaggeration, he must weigh 110 pounds. Sadly, I think our packs weigh more than that! He as been assigned to Didi Kim and dutifully keeps a watchful eye over her.










Gel Sheree 


Gel Sheree, a strapping athletic 19 year old, has been assigned to Rob. Before leaving Kamding, his mother gave us a Khata to protect us during the trek. Her gesture definitely struck a chord in me, as I understand a mothers worry. Although his English is not as good as Renje’s we have found an easy way between us. He is beginning to tease me! As I cautiously cross streams, he leaps! As I gingerly descend steep slopes he runs! As I struggle uphill, he mimics my panting. He is fun! I feel an enormous responsibility to return him home safely to his mamma. Rob has been teasing Gel Sheree relentlessly as earlier in the trek he forgot his jacket at one of our rest stops. We were all exhausted, yet he managed to spring all the way back to look for his coat. 











Pasang 

A seasoned trekker, proud daddy and excellent chef, my porter Pasang appears to be the leader of the porter team. I laugh to myself as I remember the old camp rule - make friends with the cook. DONE! His call to action is “party-time” and when Pasang says party time we don our packs and start putting one foot in front of the other. His trademark move is the way in which he presents the food he has carefully prepared. With a slight bow and a huge smile, he lays the plates before us. I admire his ability to gauge both the mood and ability of our group. He sets the pace to match our energy levels and does this masterfully without fanfare. Unfortunately, I am developing a freudian reaction when I notice him slow down our walking speed as it means steep hills ahead. They terrify me!









I find myself being very careful with my words when I speak to any of the Dream Team, because the instant they sense we might want something, they work tirelessly to meet our needs. I worry about the weight of the packs they are carrying, especially on the bone crushing downhills and fret over their footwear. We are in our high tech vibram sole hiking boots, moaning and groaning about our feet and they are wearing sneakers. I worry about their clothing. We are in our comfy down filled jackets and they are wearing windbreakers. I worry about them eating enough. They always wait for us to finish our meals before they dive in and I know they must be famished! I worry about a lot of things. Yet, despite my worries, they are happy. I catch them in moments when they don’t know I am watching and they are goofing around, joking and teasing each other. They are the unsung heroes of the Nepal trekking community and we are forever in their debt.










Giggle of the day

During one long, arduous climb, we asked Gel Sheree how much further to the tea house, to which he replied, “45 years!” We are confident that it must feel like that to him!





6 comments:

  1. I feel every word and emotion in my heart. What a fabulous Team. Again I am in awe of you and Rob for your amazing adventure and journey. Stay well -enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Group is definately the “A Team”, lots of time to get to know & appreciate their hard work ethic which appears to be courageous and relentless! I have enjoyed your trip in the comfort of my home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again for sharing your adventures with us stay-at-homers...continue to stay safe, and many many thanks to your team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Passion you have for your Team! And this Adventure!
    It eggs me on to watch for More! Go Team! Be one with each Step, and Each Breath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love being an arm chair tourist sharing your adventure. Between your excellent writing and Rob's photography skills hope you are considering magazine articles or a book in the future!

    ReplyDelete