Thursday, October 12, 2023

Another Brick in the Wall

If we were forced to board the plane and leave Nepal this instant, I would return home happy, fulfilled and most importantly humbled. Today was a great day! 

Over the years, Kim and her travelling band of vagabonds have made donations to help support the school in Khamding. By Canadian standards, the supplies and cash donations we provide are meagre, but in Nepal a US dollar goes a long way, and to say the students and staff are appreciative would be a gross understatement. To show their appreciation of Kim’s ongoing support and our donations, we were invited to a school assembly. 

To my embarrassment we were asked to seat at the front of the assembly alongside the town dignitaries. Both staff and students had worked extremely hard to prepare speeches and dances in our honour. Looking around I chuckled to myself as I observed the youngsters perched on their benches. Kids are kids! I watched the fidgeters, the wigglers, the instigators, the interested, the disinterested, and the staff valiantly trying to keep the troops engaged. Clearly school assembly behaviour is universal.











For those who know me it wont come as a surprise to learn that I shed a few tears during the festivities. Watching the “littles” dance so enthusiastically touched me to my core, and the older girls in their traditional dresses were stunning. A young boy delivered a well memorized speech in English thanking us and acknowledging how funds would help their school community. Later, I had the opportunity to thank and praise his English teacher for a job well done. Her pride in her student was palpable.

After the assembly we were invited for a tour of the science lab. Never have I seen such excitement over a periodic table! I couldn’t help but notice, that although the classroom had power, there was only one functioning light bulb. Periodic tables seemed the least of their worries. By Canadian standards learning conditions are extremely poor, yet this dedicated staff team are passionate about their students and their learning outcomes. 



For the cherry on top, we were invited for yet another cup of tea! Never in my life have I consumed so much tea, and we have yet to start hiking! As we sipped away, we were joined by the entire school staff. Thankfully, their English is much better than our Nepali, so we were able to enjoy a conversation and share a few laughs. 



Giggle of the Day

To commence the assembly, we were adorned with khatas and the most beautiful marigold garlands. I swear every mother in the region had been up all night making these beautiful flower arrangements. It felt reminiscent of my “mom there’s a bake sale tomorrow and I need 24 cupcakes days.” To our amazement, child after child approached and placed the garlands around our necks. How I wished I had worked harder on my core strength as the sheer weight of the flowers began to impact my posture. Rob looked particularly regal with flowers atop his world famous baseball hat. 





4 comments:

  1. What a Delight! Culture is what makes travel so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting schools in different countries and cultures is so magical. It really helps to build a perspective of what we have here and how it is accepted and how other places value what little they have so much. You two look magical in your marigolds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is magic! Love the story! Tears in my eyes too.

    ReplyDelete